Even if you owe the money, there are some actions that a debt collector cannot take pursuant to the Fair Debt Collect Practices Act.
- A debt collector may only contact you between the hours of 8:00 am and 9:00 pm. The debt collector may not contact you at work also.
- A debt collector may not engage in unfair or shocking methods to collect the debt (ie: threatening criminal prosecution).
- A debt collector cannot contact the debtor if they know the debt collector is represented by an attorney, unless specific permission is given.
- A debt collector cannot send documents that look like or resemble legal proceedings unless the court action is actually filed.
- A debt collector cannot threaten or use violence against the debtor.
- A debt collector cannot publish a debtor’s name in a public posting.
If you feel that your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act have been violated, please call us at (801) 432-8682 to discuss your options.
8839 S. Redwood Road, Suite C2
West Jordan, Utah 84088
Telephone: (801) 432-8682